With Barry Alvarez announcing his retirement as athletic director at the University of Wisconsin, take a look back at some of the biggest celebrations during his time with the Badgers.
In this Series
As featured on
Barry Alvarez, 74, will finish his term leading the UW athletic program this summer after a 17-year stretch in the seat during which the department's budget nearly doubled.
Sweeping changes are coming to college athletics in the form of NIL payments and athlete empowerment. UW's next AD has to take those challenges head-on.
With Alvarez announcing he'll be retiring as UW's athletic director June 30, we thought now's the perfect time to ask our readers what they think of his impact over 31 years in Madison.
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 3 PM MDT MONDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5 inches, locally higher amounts possible. Winds gusting as high as 30 mph. * WHERE...Portions of central, south central, and southeast Montana. * WHEN...From 3 PM this afternoon to 3 PM MDT Monday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the Monday morning commute. Roads, and especially bridges and overpasses, will likely become slick and hazardous. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Slow down and use caution while driving. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... For the latest road conditions, call 5 1 1. &&
Currently in Billings
SWX's Most Popular
- Carroll College falls to Morningside 55-0 in NAIA Football Playoffs
- NCAA releases statement on transgender athletes
- Brian Holsinger Announced as Next Lady Griz Head Coach
- Browning's Spoonhunter, Huntley's Bouchard part of 'special' experience with DCC
- Billings Skyview softball postpones three games with health and safety concerns
- Billings Senior standout Junior Bergen shifts commitment from Montana State to Montana
- Belief and trust key for Lady Pioneers in national tournament
- 'This is a once in a lifetime experience.' MCC women bring tight bond to the national stage
- Carroll College upsets College of Idaho, secures automatic bid to NAIA Playoffs
- Dawson prepares for first national tournament appearance in program history
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.