Who Killed Kim? Part Five: The Confession

A winding area of the Poplar River where a sand bar juts out is called Sandy Beach. This is where Barry Beach says he was partying with two friends the afternoon before Kim Nees was killed.

Beach says it was late afternoon when he tried to leave the area, but his car was stuck in the sand, and in his effort to drive it out, he says he blew the transmission.

Beach told Montana authorities investigating Kim Nees death that he started walking home and caught a ride along the way with a couple of friends.

Beach lived in this neighborhood with his mother and step dad.

In fact, on the same side of the street as Kim, who lived just a few doors down in this home.

Both had lived in the neighborhood since they were small children, and back in the day played together with the other kids on the block.

Beach says when got home around 5:30 or 6 PM in the evening on June 15th, 1979, no one was in the house.

So, he says he ate some food, and after having partied for two straight days, says he went upstairs, climbed into bed, and went to sleep until the next morning.

He told authorities he didn't find out about Kim's murder until much later in the day while branding cattle on his uncle's farm.

But in the confession he gave to Louisiana authorities, his story took a wicked turn.

Beach says he actually woke up a few hours after he went home and decided to go back out.

It was a Friday night. School was out for the summer.

Beach says he walked down the main drag of Poplar where he saw Kim Nees sitting alone in her daddy's pickup truck at this, now burned down, Exxon gas station.

Beach said it was late at night.

Others in town said they also saw Kim sitting alone in the pickup at the gas station at about 12:30 AM that morning.

Beach says they talked, he got in her truck, and they drove around for a while, ending up near the Poplar River where he says they parked.

Beach says the two smoked some marijuana, a couple of joints, and after talking about their plans for the summer, he says he tried to kiss her.

She refused and slapped him.

He says he tried repeatedly until she ordered him out of the truck.

Beach says he eventually became angry and after having been slapped a second time, punched her.

He says Kim fought back, and during the fight he saw a crescent wrench on the floor of the truck. He grabbed it and began hitting her with it.

Beach says Kim managed to open the driver's side door and get out.

So he jumped out of the passenger side, ran around the pickup and pushed her up against the vehicle, and began choking her and tried again to kiss her.

He says when he saw a tire iron in the bed of the truck, he grabbed it and started beating her with it.

She ran and he chased her, tackled her, and beat her until she was dead.

Beach says he got scared, found a plastic garbage bag in the truck, pulled it up over Kim's feet toward her neck and dragged her from underneath her arms down to the Poplar River where he dumped her body, and where he eventually threw the murder weapons and the keys to her truck.

Beach says he started running for home, stopping along the way where he said he burned his blood stained clothes inside a train car. He went home upstairs to his room, washed blood off his body, discarded those materials, and finally laid on is bed and tried to convince himself he didn't do it.

That's the confession Beach gave to Louisiana detectives in January of 1983.

I recently asked Beach about that specific part of his confession.

"Barry, you said you went home, washed off, went to bed and tried to convince yourself you didn't kill her. Is it possible you've spent your entire life trying to convince yourself you didn't do it?" I asked.

The answer and some tough questions regarding his confession this Sunday, only on the KULR-8 News, right after Sunday Night Football.

Recommended for you