Hockey jersey stolen from Spokane veteran's gravesite - KULR-8 Television, Billings, MT

Hockey jersey stolen from Spokane veteran's gravesite

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, Wash. - The family of Army veteran Cody Watson says a hockey jersey that belonged to their son was stolen from his gravesite at Holy Cross cemetery on Father's day weekend. The family says flowers and a vase were also kicked around. "It was on fathers day, so was it directed at me, was it directed at Cody, who would do such a thing?"

Todd Watson wondered. "I got past that pretty quickly and figured it was just some kids." Before Cody joined the Army he played for the Spokane Flyers hockey team. Watson enlisted in the Army in 2010 and served a 12 month tour in Iraq. Todd & Renee Watson, his parents, say Cody came home showing all the signs of PTSD. Cody was actively seeking help for depression and PTSD when he was back home from his tour.

In 2012 Watson came back to Spokane after his deployment in the military. Sadly in March of 2014 Cody took his own life after jumping from the Monroe street bridge in Spokane. "Watching him grow up he was so happy. Never had any problems. It just makes you wonder where along the line something happened. He just wasn't happy, you could see it." Todd Watson says of his son Cody.

Cody's family had placed his hockey jersey at his gravesite before a headstone was built. The jersey, the Watson's say is one of a kind not only because it's their sons but because the Spokane Flyers no longer exist. Friends of the family are offering a reward. The Watson's say all they want is to have the jersey back, and no hard feelings.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • FIRST ON KHQ: Fire crews battle overnight house fire in northwest Spokane

    FIRST ON KHQ: Fire crews battle overnight house fire in northwest Spokane

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 4:36 AM EDT2014-07-30 08:36:37 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Tuesday night at 11:35pm Spokane fire crews were called out to a house fire in northwest Spokane. The fire broke out in a two-story home at West Mission and North Oak. The home is located near Cannon Playground. When crews arrived there were flames showing and heavy smoke and those inside had been evacuated.
    SPOKANE, Wash.- On Tuesday night at 11:35pm Spokane fire crews were called out to a house fire in northwest Spokane. The fire broke out in a two-story home at West Mission and North Oak. The home is located near Cannon Playground. When crews arrived there were flames showing and heavy smoke and those inside had been evacuated.
  • NEW INFORMATION: High Drive brush fire believed to be human caused

    NEW INFORMATION: High Drive brush fire believed to be human caused

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 4:36 AM EDT2014-07-30 08:36:17 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- Tuesday evening the Spokane Fire department announced they had a likely cause for the High Drive brush fire: humans. The fire broke out Monday afternoon about 3pm on the west side of Spokane's South Hill between Squelch Golf Course and High Drive. By 6pm it had grown to 30 acres and moved to within 75 yards of several homes on High Drive.
    SPOKANE, Wash.- Tuesday evening the Spokane Fire department announced they had a likely cause for the High Drive brush fire: humans. The fire broke out Monday afternoon about 3pm on the west side of Spokane's South Hill between Squelch Golf Course and High Drive. By 6pm it had grown to 30 acres and moved to within 75 yards of several homes on High Drive.

  • A good problem to have: Carlton Complex no longer accepting donated goods

    A good problem to have: Carlton Complex no longer accepting donated goods

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:38 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:38:00 GMT
    OKANOGAN COUNTY, Wash.- The people in charge at the Carlton Complex wildfires in Okanogan County say they can no longer accept any donated goods. The problem, they say, is that so many people donated so much that they simply ran out of room.
    OKANOGAN COUNTY, Wash.- The people in charge at the Carlton Complex wildfires in Okanogan County say they can no longer accept any donated goods. The problem, they say, is that so many people donated so much that they simply ran out of room.