Fungus That Causes Fatal Illness Found In WA State But No Need F - KULR-8 Television, Billings, MT

Fungus That Causes Fatal Illness Found In WA State But No Need For Worry

Posted: Updated:
UPDATE:

KHQ's Nichole Mischke spoke with Kim Papich with the Spokane Regional Health District and it she provided additional context around the WSU release. WSU recently tested soil in central Washington state and detected the fungus that, when inhaled, can cause Valley Fever.

Three individuals from central Washington were diagnosed with Valley Fever in 2010-2011—two cases in 2010 and a case in 2011 and all were likely exposed to the fungus in Washington state.

The illness cannot be spread from human-to-human or animal-to-human. It is only contracted if contaminated soil is inhaled.

Most people who are exposed to the fungus do not develop symptoms, or have very mild flu-like symptoms that go away on their own. Some people may develop a more severe infection, especially those who have a weakened immune system, are of African-American or Filipino descent, or are pregnant in their third trimester.

Symptoms of Valley Fever include:
  • Fever
  • Cough
  • Headache
  • Rash on upper trunk or extremities
  • Muscle aches
  • Joint pain in the knees or ankles
Symptoms may appear between one and three weeks after exposure to the fungus. If symptoms last for more than a week, contact your health care provider.

Valley Fever is a notifiable condition in Washington state, which means that if a person is diagnosed with it, local public health will be notified.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - A fungus that can launch a fatal illness has been found for the first time in the soil of Washington.
    
Officials for Washington State University say the fungus can cause an illness called valley fever. The fungus is normally found in semiarid parts of the Southwest.
    
Valley fever occurs when the soil-dwelling fungus becomes airborne, releasing spores that get lodged in the lungs of humans and certain animals, especially dogs.
    
The Centers for Disease Control estimates it kills 160 people a year.
    
Three unrelated cases were diagnosed in Eastern Washington in 2010-11.
    
Scientists for Washington State say that soil samples taken recently from the vicinity tested positive for the fungus, proving it can survive here. All three people who got sick in Eastern Washington survived.

For more information on this illness including a list of symptoms, click here: http://tinyurl.com/mf5dtmo

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • RANKING: The states with the rudest drivers

    RANKING: The states with the rudest drivers

    Wednesday, September 17 2014 1:09 AM EDT2014-09-17 05:09:55 GMT
    KHQ.com The state of Idaho appears to be known for two things: Potatoes and rude drivers. Online insurance company Insure.com has come out with a list that ranks the rudest drivers in the country and Idaho tops the list.
    KHQ.com The state of Idaho appears to be known for two things: Potatoes and rude drivers. Online insurance company Insure.com has come out with a list that ranks the rudest drivers in the country and Idaho tops the list.
  • Some businesses ban E-cigarettes inside

    Some businesses ban E-cigarettes inside

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-09-17 03:14:40 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The Grant County Health District passed an ordinance that regulates the sale, distribution, and use of electronic cigarettes. That means starting January 1, 2015, people will no longer be able to smoke e-cigarettes indoors or any other place where regular cigarettes are banned in Grant County.
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The Grant County Health District passed an ordinance that regulates the sale, distribution, and use of electronic cigarettes. That means starting January 1, 2015, people will no longer be able to smoke e-cigarettes indoors or any other place where regular cigarettes are banned in Grant County.
  • "No guns allowed" sign stirs controversy

    "No guns allowed" sign stirs controversy

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:59 PM EDT2014-09-17 02:59:38 GMT
    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Buffalo Wild Wings opened it's doors Labor Day weekend in Coeur d'Alene, and on the door is a sign that reads; "Buffalo Wild Wings inc, Bans Guns On These Premises." The sign was met with a mix of responses from people in the area with some, like Dave Allbrook. "I'm okay with that, I think it depends on the owners of the restaurant, whether or not they want to do that."
    COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Buffalo Wild Wings opened it's doors Labor Day weekend in Coeur d'Alene, and on the door is a sign that reads; "Buffalo Wild Wings inc, Bans Guns On These Premises." The sign was met with a mix of responses from people in the area with some, like Dave Allbrook. "I'm okay with that, I think it depends on the owners of the restaurant, whether or not they want to do that."