Who Killed Kim? Part Two: The Evidence - KULR8.com | News, Weather & Sports in Billings, Montana

Who Killed Kim? Part Two: The Evidence

Posted: Updated:
POPLAR, Mont. -

This is where young Kimberly Ann Nees was brutally murdered.

An open field, now filled with more tall grass than when Kim was killed.

Here's what the scene looked like when the murder occurred in the summer of 1979.

The area is located next to a train bridge near Poplar, Montana.

Kids used to like to jump from the bridge into the Poplar river back when it was deeper.

Some even played train dodge, jumping off the bridge into the water as one of the many trains that roll through town chugged close to the bridge.

Kim was one of them.

Imagine her body discovered face up just feet away from the bridge where she used to swim and play.

She had been brutally beaten to death with a crescent wrench and possibly other tools 257 feet away near some trees in this field.

Her body dragged to this location before being rolled off the cliff and eventually pushed into the water.

Left behind seemingly many clues starting with three distinctive sets of footprints along the drag trail, one of them barefooted. There was a bloody palm print on the front passenger side panel of the pickup truck Kim was driving. FBI said whoever left that print is most likely the killer.

Oh, and there were two dozen fingerprints.

A few blocks from the murder scene, a bloody towel was found draped on this fence. The question: Who's blood is on that towel?

Two tribal police officers driving by the field on Highway 2, the main road in and out of Poplar, noticed the truck about 7 AM and began to investigate.

7 AM.

Poplar resident Dun O'Connor says he received a phone call the morning of Kim Nee's death.

"I'm the guy that got the phone call at 5 in the morning two hours before supposedly, before they found the body and everything started rocking and rolling.

Dun O'Connor says he was sound asleep the morning Kim Nees was killed when the phone rang at 5 AM.

O'Connor says the caller was a friend of his, Sissy Atkinson.

"She told me Kim was found dead down by the train bridge"

Two hours before law enforcement knew anything about it.

On Tuesday, the investigation: an investigation even the prosecutor in the case, one Mark Racicot acknowledged proved one thing, not a single clue left behind would point the finger of guilt at anyone and there's an alarming reason why.