Pet Safety During Halloween - | News, Weather & Sports in Billings, Montana

Pet Safety During Halloween

Posted: Updated:

Halloween is fast approaching and the Yellowstone Valley Animal Shelter says the holiday can be frightening for pets too.

The shelter's executive director Chris Anderson says the Pet Poison Hotline gets more calls during the holiday.

She says many of the treats are toxic to dogs and cats. Treats like raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats and candy wrappers can cause bowel obstruction.

"Animals are no different than kids," Anderson said. "The ruffling of the paper and the smell of the candy, they just want to eat, eat, eat, eat. Chocolate is highly toxic to both dogs and cats. Doesn't matter if it's white or brown, dark chocolate or milk chocolate, just keep it out of their reach."

Anderson also says costumes can also be dangerous to pets if they're too restrictive. A hat with a strap underneath could prevent the animal from swallowing. She suggests keeping pets in another room during Halloween if you get a lot of trick-or-treaters, so they don't run out the door.